Monday, April 27, 2009

Twitter for Bed and Breakfasts 3.0

Here is the third installment of my exploration of the world of Twitter (the “Twitterverse”). My Twitter ID is @InnConsultant. Follow me if you like what I am saying.

In Part I and Part II, I discussed how I first got into Social Media, and how I got hooked on it. I found it a really good way to get good returns marketing small businesses like Bed and Breakfast Inns. It truly compliments all of the time and effort that you put into having a really good blog, by providing effective advertising for all of your new blog posts. Here are my thoughts after a few months on Twitter.

First, as I stated in earlier posts, there is a real etiquette to Twitter. People will stop following you if your tweets are just ho hum! This is an information sharing concept, so if all you are doing is trying to sell, sell, sell, they will turn you off. What people want to know is who you are and what you really think about things. In other words, why are you “interesting” enough to follow? At the present time, I am amazed to find that I have over 230 really diverse people who follow me, and I am following more than that. I am not really trying to drum up followers now, they seem to just find me. Most of them are interested in travel and hospitality, which of course is what I am all about. So I seem to be getting people to follow me that share my interests. And that is the whole purpose of this effort.

So, I don’t try to sell anything to anyone. I am also very careful about my on-line reputation, so I don’t rant and rave (even when I feel like doing so!). I comment frequently about other people’s tweets, either retweeting (“RT”) or replying (“@” ____). Sometimes, I send someone a private message (“DM”) where what I have to say is either personal or not something of interest to the world of followers. What I try to do is to share information about things that I am interested in and provoke thoughtful conversations about those things. What I am really doing is trying to show people who I am and why they should listen to what I am saying. I am learning about other people who I follow and who both share my interests and are interesting people. One thing is for sure. I have come to really admire some of the people that I have “met” on Twitter, without really ever seeing or hearing them. What an amazing thing!

Another interesting thing is the local nature of Twitter. Following people in your community or state is a good way to build up a reputation or persona on Twitter. This translates into a whole new world of networking, especially in the on-line community of people who are practicing Social Media on a daily basis as part of their jobs. I have found a whole group of people twittering away in and around Portland, Maine, who are great sharers of information about social media and how it works best.

Now the business part of the equation. People who are interested in who you are also are interested in what you do. Your followers want to know what differentiates what you do from what others do, and why that makes you interesting? So if you have the best Bed and Breakfast Inn in the World, Country, State or even just your local city or town, you can show people (like your guests or prospective guests) why they should come to stay at your Inn as opposed to going elsewhere. Now how do you do this?

Like all marketing advice, the main idea of differentiation is to tell who you are clearly and convincingly, and what makes you different than all of the others. The tough part in Twitter is that you only have 140 characters to provoke an image to the readers (i.e. the World). While this requires some thought, not all images need big and long trains of words. A quick pop about those amazing thick and tangy, fresh Maine blueberry pancakes you served at breakfast may be enough to tweet a great image to your followers. If you have fantastic restaurants and wine nearby, tell people about the great meal you had there (i.e. what you had not just that it was good). Tell them about all of the festivals and doings in your local area, so that they get a feel about why they should come. Convey a thought image in just a few words. This is quite different that just announcing a reduction in price to try to get people to come. What is happening is that you are describing what your Inn is all about, and why they should come to see you as the Innkeeper. You are really invoking a feeling in the reader. If they get the sense that you are a good and interesting person, then that is most of the battle right there.

So, give it a try. We keep hearing about all of the success stories of Inns on Twitter. If you don’t believe me yet, try following @HoptonHouseBnB. Karen Thorne, from Shropshire, UK, is probably the most Social Media savvy Innkeeper I have ever seen (or is that “heard”). Look at what she does on Twitter, and you will find a perfect role model for your Tweets. What are you waiting for?

5 comments:

Peter Scherman said...

Howard,

Great post and great advice for innkeepers (or anyone in business). I've only been "Twittering" for a month, and it's fun. It gives me an outlet for all the short ideas and interesting links that either don't merit a blog post, or I don't have time for.

While we are competitors, we are also colleagues, and, hopefully, there's always something we can learn from each other. Twitter and blogs provide a great venue for that sharing of ideas.

Peter Scherman
The B&B Team

Nancy Hinchliff said...

There are lots of other BnBs on twitter, who also have blogs, and are just as savvy about social media as Hopton House, if not more. I'm surprised you haven't noticed: www.innbusiness.blogspot.com, who has three blogs. They also set up TWINNS for innkeepers on twitter, and tweet regularly.

hema said...

nice post and great advice for innkeepers. twitter and blogs provide a grat venue for that sharing of ideas

Resume Search said...

Thanks for the advice, i am reading your posts they are very informative.

Bed And Breakfast New Delhi said...

Very Interesting Twitter BNB....
Very nice information about bed and breakfast, next is Bed and Breakfast in New Delhi