Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Yield Management? Not!!

I was looking at the December edition of PAII's Innkeeping this morning, and had a thought that I wanted to pass on. Clearly this falls in the range of “for what it is worth.”

I have heard Bill Carroll talk several times on Yield Management, including at last year’s PAII Conference. He is clearly a bright and thoughtful professor. However, this discussion turns me off every time I hear it. It seems to be all about the money and not about the guest. It seems to be the antithesis of the kind of hospitality that we strive for as Innkeepers. Even mentioning the possibility of overbooking rooms and having different rates for the same type of rooms on the same days, makes me cringe. Working hard to have a strong Inn business is something we have taught for many years, but the means of achieving this goal also matters. I think, bottom line, that Yield Management is perhaps the opposite of what we should be teaching Innkeepers or Aspiring Innkeepers. Our segment of the Hospitality Industry has always, always differentiated ourselves based on the high level of individual hospitality we provide to the guests. This has helped us considerably in the tough times following 9/11 when the larger hotel industry was killing itself with discounting and hotels.com type distribution channels. In my opinion, the future of our way of Innkeeping seems to depend upon increasing the level of hospitality to the guests, not becoming more institutionalized and impersonal. We need to continue to think about what is the next amenity that we can provide to the guests, not how much money we can get.

Now, Bill Carroll is writing about Demand Management. Once I got past the Yield Management stuff in the article, however, I actually thought that some of it made some sense to me. Analyzing marketing expenses, sources of contacts, and tracking web results (i.e. spending time trying to figure out who the guest is, and why and how he finds the Inn) is all something that most good Innkeepers have been doing for years. Asking the question “How did you hear about us?” is such a standard question that every Innkeeper must ask a prospective guest. Treating “loyal guests” (i.e. repeat guests) as special is one of the essentials of good Innkeeping. I recall an article in Innkeeping many years ago by Maureen McGee from Rabbit Hill Inn in Vermont, on how to answer telephone calls for reservations. This was done before anyone ever heard about the Internet. Some of this article is clearly still relevant. Asking about why the guest was coming and how they heard about the Inn were such basics even at that pre-web time. Tracking sources of contacts has been present from the earliest days of bed and breakfast reservation software.

In sum, let’s get back to basics. If we treat all the guests as very special, they may want to come back. If we treat repeat guests even better, they might clearly refer more business to us. No matter how much the Internet and computers become a part of our lives as Innkeepers, the best, least expensive, and most lasting form of marketing, is and always will be treating the guests to superb hospitality. Modern electronic marketing has become very important, and will succeed if we remember that is all about serving the guest and their needs. If Yield Management is the way of the future, then I have sincere doubts about how we can continue to differentiate ourselves from every chain hotel off the highway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How true. The focus is on the guest. Without them, we are nothing. Thank you for posting this.

Missouri B&B

Anonymous said...

Howard, you've hit the nail on the head and I'm glad there are others in this industry that feel the same. Having taught Yield Management to Front Office staff over a number of years, I was appalled when I first heard it mentioned in the same breath as innkeeping. The two in my mind are mutually exclusive, never mind that in order to do a good job with it anyway, you need to have a great deal of time on your hands to do the necessary analytics, even with (expensive) software to help you. So no, lets leave this little gem to the big boys in the corporate world and get on with our core business, which is looking after people well.

Anonymous said...

On Yield Mgmt: Maybe these comments will give a different slant on this hotly debated topic.

I did not hear Bill Carroll's comments on “yield management.” I am an innkeeper that has a variety of rates for the same room on the same night. I take the position that this is a way of tangibly "giving" to my guests. Leisure guests who are seniors, or have AAA, or are traveling alone receive a "gift" from me in the form of a lower rate. Drop-ins at 7 P.M. or later will probably also receive a "gift" in the form of a lower rate. Mid-week leisure guests receive a "gift" because I have more mid-week rooms to fill than weekend rooms – a matter of supply and demand. A lower rate is a way to thank them for coming at a less popular time in the week. Mid-week business guests receive an even greater "gift" from me. It's a way to capture their business and to thank repeaters for their loyalty and they don't require as much of my time because they are generally focused on the employment aspect of their trip. I have a couple of corporate accounts which I bill monthly. One of these clients has a confidential corporate rate. State employees pay an even lower business rate (the CA state per diem). State employees are guaranteed a room and I reserve the right to move them once during their stay to fill in the rooms that the higher-paying leisure guests have not booked. I have had business people tell me, attorneys and such, “I don’t care what room I have – just get me inside your inn!” Fellow innkeepers who stay at my inn generally pay half of the rack rate. I recall an innkeeper couple from Maine, who I shall probably never see again, who received our best and most glorious room (the one Carol Channing always stays in) for zero dollars on a mid-week night – there were no other guests at the inn and they did not require breakfast. I believe my rack rates which are clearly published, represent a very fair market value for the room/s and for the service given. Guests have told me they are excited to receive a little bit off the room rate. Others have expressed to me how nice it was that I asked up-front if they were members of AAA, etc. And no, I never over-book rooms. I have only four! For What It’s Worth, Dottie Musser www.bradfordplace.com

Anonymous said...

Interesting view.
Revenue Management is designed to help HOTELS be more profitable. Service to Clientele is down to the Service Staff.
Revenue (or Yield) management is just a simple analysis of Supply Vs Demand.

Does not impact the Customer at all

Anonymous said...

I have to differ with you. If one guest pays a few dollars more than another guest sitting next to him at breakfast, the hospitality experience they are receiving is the same.

Unless you're in this business as a "lifestyle" or hobby, then isn't one of our goals to make money or at the very least to pay your bills? Our inn runs 98% occupancy in the busy season and I see nothing wrong with charging more when the demand for that room is high. And yes, that means if I have a room still available a day or a week ahead of time, I'll charge more for it because I know I will fill it. At a time when many inns are struggling, using some form of yield management could mean the difference of success or failure. It has nothing to do with hospitality.